This is good news for IBM and while Gartner mentions Watson Commerce Insights for predictive merchandising and predictive search, I am not sure why it doesn’t include products like Dynamic Pricing – which is clearly stated as a primary initiative for most B2B sites by 2018. Analytic’s and augmented intelligence is a big area IBM is investing in and it ties closely with managing customers for both B2C and B2B sites. As stated in this report, by 2020, smart personalization engines used to recognize customer intent will enable digital businesses to increase their profits by up to 15%. I don’t think products like IBM Predictive Customer Intelligence or Watson Customer Experience Analytics are well represented in this report and by next year there will be even more augmented intelligence features in the IBM suite. At some point, the Digital Commerce quadrant has to recognize these add-ons as a base part of doing business in this report and this year they should have clearly been listed as strengths in the industry.
Another area I think the report falls short on is order optimization. With more and more companies moving to buy on-line pick up in store or more specifically buy on-line ship from store, you are going to see more demand for order fulfillment optimization, something Watson Order Optimizer covers very well.
Some key messages from the report IBM is focusing on:
- IBM is a Leader, based on its product functionality, ability to support B2C and B2B business models, and its supporting ecosystem of applications that connect to its commerce platform across the globe.
- IBM maintains an extensive set of partners in the digital commerce ecosystem, which was highly thought of by its reference customers — all scored it “very high” or “outstanding.”
- By 2018, 40% of B2B digital commerce sites will use price optimization algorithms and configure, price and quote tools to dynamically calculate and deliver product pricing.
- By 2020, 25% of leading online sellers will have enabled first-generation “commerce that comes to you” capabilities.
- By 2020, smart personalization engines used to recognize customer intent will enable digital businesses to increase their profits by up to 15%.