I now see the attraction of the Microsoft Surface. While it has been documented, written about, reviewed, etc by many and in a sense does not get the recognition some of the other tablets get I think it is clearly getting short changed. And the reason is…
This is not a tablet, its a PC. It does pretty much everything my laptop and desktop can do and a whole lot more. The “tablet” is very thin and compares nicely against the other tablets on the market. I have the 128GB model and it seems to be so much memory when compared to my 64GB iPad. It has the cameras on both sides, very cool. It comes with Skype, once again any PC app should install on the device – priceless. The actual tablet itself seems very stylish and sturdy. I remember when I got the iPad and thought “what a solid design”, I had the exact same impression when I first held the Surface. Since I have a Microsoft Account for XBox and I have Windows 8 on my personal laptop the instant I logged in with that account ID I had all of my cloud pictures, songs, etc. Brilliant!
Some of the key things I really like about the Surface:
- The large screen resolution (1920×1080) is brilliant.
- Having the option to go to “Desktop” brings back the PC experience
- Putting a PC app like Chrome into full screen mode is a simple swipe – I am sure there are many little shortcuts out there
- The USB stick, enough said. iPad’s clearly need this option – the cloud, network, wifi, whatever doesn’t always work and getting files to/from an iPad is difficult. Not too mention the iPad isn’t a PC
Some of the things I either don’t understand or don’t know how to do:
- I do not have a keyboard so navigating or typing in fields is a little cumbersome today. For instance, web fields in Chrome the virtual keyboard shows and disappears quickly.
- The stylus is a little flaky, it has a magnetic sensor it
I would be interested in hearing others reviews on this. Since I have only had this a couple of days I might end up writing a new review after some extended use.
Some other positive reviews on the net:
- Microsoft Surface RT review – pcadvisor
- IGN Surface Pro Review
- Forbes – Final Review: Microsoft Surface
- CNET Review