I need some help testing this out. After playing around a little bit with C# and the MS Office integration API’s I was able to compile an executable that calls out to MS Office to show Documents, Presentations, and Spreadsheets. The architecture is pretty straightforward, the attachment viewer calls out to an executable to have the file converted to HTML and then the document is shown in an iframe in the viewer. I have seen some minor issues and thankfully no crashes.
This version is also Dojo enabled and currently needs to have internet access in order for it to work since I pull Dojo 1.5 from the Google CDN. You will notice the Dojo toolbar and the different view modes – Film Strip, Slide Show, Thumbnails:
- Lotus Notes 8.5 or above
- For MS Office document viewing:
- Windows XP or higher – sorry, no Mac support yet.
- Microsoft Office 2003 or higher installed
- You may also need the Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies installed.
- If you have a 1.0 version of the attachment viewer installed, please make sure you uninstall it first.
- Once you have the older version installed you can drap and drop the icon below to your My Widgets panel to have the new Eclipse plugins installed.
- You may also need to set the preference for the viewer under File | Preferences:
Once I get some good feedback I will be posting the binaries and sources to the OpenNTF project.
Some known issues:
- The thumbnail view does not show the last image as a thumb
- Sometimes the MS Office link is broken, a restart or shutting down MS Office may be needed.
In advance, thanks for all of your feedback and interest in this project!